3 Planks of Modernism
Agnosticism, Vital Immanence, Radical Evolutionism
We all to check our beliefs for drifting from the Faith
Syllabus Condemning the Errors of Modernists
- Christ did not always possess the consciousness of His Messianic dignity.
Jesus had to become aware of himself immanence
Pick the Plank for the error
- In the primitive Church the concept of the Christian sinner reconciled by the authority of the Church did not exist. Only very slowly did the Church accustom herself to this concept. As a matter of fact, even after Penance was recognized as an institution of the Church, it was not called a Sacrament since it would be held as a disgraceful Sacrament.
Process of Catechumen back in ancient times. Process has varied through the ages.
Edith Stein did not go through RCIA.
Modernist want to ditch penance. Ancients took process more seriously longer and arduous.
Waxed and waned between strength and weakness.
Peter whose are forgiven are forgiven by Christ Himself.
- The Church has shown that she is hostile to the progress of the natural and theological sciences.
Church (opinion) versus what can be measured. Ravensburg Address use human intellect to follow truth.
Ex/ experiment on people, generate ‘knowledge’
Recourse to unjust method.
- Truth is no more immutable than man himself, since it evolved with him, in him, and through him.
Not fixed through time.
- Christ did not teach a determined body of doctrine applicable to all times and all men, but rather inaugurated a religious movement adapted or to be adapted to different times and places.
Hindus can burn widows since it is right to them. There is a standard for the Amazon which is different from Coliseum.
Natural Science ultimate authority disingenuous, can’t flout law of gravity. Does not change over time. Gravity was same 150 years ago.
We somehow think from Aquinas perspective. Nature building block of grace. Natural world to teach us about supernatural world.
Ex/ Skip Mass without meeting 3 criteria is a mortal sin worthy of Hell. Modern man sees this as an injustice by God. Such a severe penalty for a seeming trivial one time perhaps offense.
Takes one time to jump off Eiffel Tower and die. Many instances within natural world of one event and death, no recourse, abounds. Nature teaches us about supernatural. Why say truth malleable.
The Syllabus Of Errors
Pope BI. Pius IX – 1864
- There exists no Supreme, all-wise, all-provident Divine Being, distinct from the universe, and God is identical with the nature of things, and is, therefore, subject to changes. In effect, God is produced in man and in the world, and all things are God and have the very substance of God, and God is one and the same thing with the world, and, therefore, spirit with matter, necessity with liberty, good with evil, justice with injustice. — Allocution “Maxima quidem,” June 9, 1862.
This is the air we breath in our day.
- Human reason, without any reference whatsoever to God, is the sole arbiter of truth and falsehood, and of good and evil; it is law to itself, and suffices, by its natural force, to secure the welfare of men and of nations. — Ibid.
Justice system infused with the divorce of God’s law. Define true, good & beautiful without using the Source.
- All the truths of religion proceed from the innate strength of human reason; hence reason is the ultimate standard by which man can and ought to arrive at the knowledge of all truths of every kind. — Ibid. and Encyclical “Qui pluribus,” Nov. 9, 1846, etc.
- The Church not only ought never to pass judgment on philosophy, but ought to tolerate the errors of philosophy, leaving it to correct itself. — Ibid., Dec. 21, 1863. BXVI Ravensburg Address
Good hope at least is to be entertained of the eternal salvation of all those who are not at all in the true Church of Christ. — Encyclical “Quanto conficiamur,” Aug. 10, 1863, etc. Augustine certain most not saved. Paul work out salvation fear & trembling not with bravado & assurance.
Seminary, bishops, cardinals propose & treach this error.
Difficult to reconcile.
 https://www.papalencyclicals.net/Pius10/p10lamen.htm accessed Jan 8, 2020
 https://www.papalencyclicals.net/Pius09/p9syll.htm Jan 8, 20202020
You must log in to post a comment.